Residence Permit

Citizens of the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA) do not need a residence permit for working at the AEI. Nationals of all other countries need to apply for a residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) at the local Immigration Office (Ausländerbehörde) in Germany. Your city of residence determines which Immigration Office you'll be applying at.

Please contact your International Office to help you schedule an appointment for your residence permit application. Please note that the waiting time for an appointment can take up to several months, or even longer. Please see below for the list of documents you will need to submit. The list may vary slightly, depending on your city of residence. Your International Office is happy to help you go through the documents together. The processing time of your application usually takes 6-8 weeks. In the meantime your passport will remain with you.

What you'll need for your residence permit application:

  • Appointment
  • Valid passport 
  • Application form
  • Biometric photo 3,5 x 4,5 cm
  • Registration confirmation
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Work contract from AEI or
  • Fellowship confirmation and 
  • Hosting agreement from AEI
  • Rental contract
  • PhD certificate (if available)
  • Marriage certificate, birth certificates of children 
    (with apostille and certified translation)
  • Fee: approx. 100 € per application

Extending your residence permit:

Your residence permit card is usually issued for the duration of your work contract or fellowship. In case your stay at the AEI is going to be extended, please make sure to apply for a residence permit extension well in advance, ideally around 3 months before your current permit expires. 

Zur Redakteursansicht