Job Offer from October 13, 2023
The Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Albert Einstein Institute) is a world-leading research institute specializing in gravitational physics. Around 350 international scientists work at the labs and offices located in Potsdam and Hannover, Germany.
We are seeking a
Head of Administration
to start as soon as possible.
The position is permanent and will be based in Potsdam Science Park.
The core departments of our administration are Finance, Human Resources and Purchasing. Our professional Administration Services Team provides high-quality support to our scientists and support staff. The working culture is collaborative and friendly. A “can-do” attitude is appreciated.
Duties and responsibilities
Leading a team of 19 professionals, you will be responsible for all administrative services at the Institute. Moreover, you will directly support the Board of Directors and Managing Director during their strategic decision-making process, and execute their decisions as needed. A well-run administration is extremely important to support the scientific productivity of our Institute; therefore, you will direct and oversee business process improvements and the development of administration staff’s professional skills. Other aspects of the job include financial oversight for the whole Institute, managing communication with the Max Planck Society central administration, working collaboratively with other institutes (including two other Max Planck Institutes on the Potsdam Campus) as well as our partner universities, project management, streamlining internal communication, and consulting specialists as appropriate (e.g., legal, tax, building services) to continuously improve our institute while ensuring compliance with legal, funding and Max Planck regulations.
- Higher degree (Masters) or equivalent
- Relevant work experience, particularly in a leadership position in an academic and/or research environment
- Broad knowledge of administrative, employment, procurement and funding laws
- Excellent leadership, people management and coaching skills
- Excellent project management and planning skills
- Experience in implementing change management processes
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Fluent colloquial and professional level German language (C1 level), in both oral and written forms
- Fluent colloquial and professional level English language (C1 level), in both oral and written forms
- Very good working ability with IT office software and ERP systems
Salary and working hours
The salary and contract will be based on previous experience according to TVöD guidelines (German collective wage agreement for the public service) depending on qualification up to EG15 (Entgeltgruppe 15). Working hours can be adjusted in accordance with family duties and needs.
The Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics is an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin. The Max-Planck Society is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals.
Further information can be obtained from the current Head of Administration, Dr. Florian Keller (Florian.Keller@aei.mpg.de; Phone: 0331 567-7600).
How to apply
Please submit your application documents summarized in a pdf document exclusively via our job portal at:
Your application should be written in English and consist of:
- Your curriculum vitae identifying at least three people we can contact for reference
- Your education and work certificates
- A cover letter outlining your motivation to work at our institute and in the specific role
The deadline for applications is November 15th, 2023. We will start considering applications immediately after this date. However, we strongly encourage interested candidates to apply beyond this deadline as we will continue to review all applications until the position is filled.