Job Offer from October 05, 2023
The Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Albert Einstein Institute) is the largest research institute in the world specializing in general relativity and beyond. The institute is located in Potsdam and in Hannover.
The Laser Interferometer Space Antenna (LISA) is an ESA L-Class mission for observing low-frequency gravitational waves. Our Precision Interferometry and Fundamental Interactions department at AEI is working closely with ESA on the development of the models to verify the performance of LISA.
For our location in Hanover, we are looking for a temporary full-time position for a
Head of the LISA Performance and Operations Team at AEI
Your tasks include:
- Leading a team of scientists and engineers in the performance modeling of LISA
- Developing performance modeling tools, verified through analysis, simulation, and experimentation
- Analyzing the LISA performance for specific aspects, as requested by the ESA performance manager
- Developing operational concepts and tools for optimization and characterization of LISA
- Supporting the ESA performance and operations team in the above areas, as well as in the analysis of performance risks and the development of requirements
- Acting as a daily contact for the ESA performance manager
- Completed studies in a technical/scientific subject, e.g., industrial engineering, physics, engineering sciences, aerospace technology
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken, German language will be an asset
- High technical affinity and experience in the field of technical software development
- Willingness to visit our partners in Europe and North America
- Significant leadership experience and proven track record of execution
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to work with a diverse team within our institute, as well as with our industry partners
We offer you a versatile activity in an international working environment, extensive opportunities for further education and training as well as an excellent working atmosphere in a friendly, committed team. Flexible working hours and the compatibility of career and family are a matter of course for us. Remuneration and social benefits are based on qualifications in accordance with the collective wage agreement for the public sector (TVöD).
We value diversity and therefore welcome all applications – regardless of gender, nationality, skin color, origin, religion and ideology, age, sexual orientation and identity. The AEI and the Max Planck Society welcome persons with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity.
For more information about our institute, please visit https://www.aei.mpg.de.
We have aroused your interest? Then we look forward to receiving your complete application (cover letter, curriculum vitae, letters of reference, certificates and other supporting documents) without a photograph, which you should submit as a single PDF document exclusively via our online application portal: https://jobs.aei.mpg.de/159/head-of-lisa-performance-and-operations-team/apply