Job Offer from July 16, 2019
The Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics in Potsdam is looking for an outstanding Administrative Assistant for one of the institute’s directors.
The Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Albert Einstein Institute, AEI) employs about 300 international scientists, technical and administrative staff and students. The new colleague will join the division "Astrophysical and Cosmological Relativity" headed by its director Prof. Dr. Alessandra Buonanno. The division is comprised of about 30 members.
The assistant’s most important job is to make their director as effective and efficient as possible. You’ll need to be passionate and responsive about the role, and be able to keep track of many different tasks and aspects in order to optimize her time through rigorous calendar management and efficient communication skills inside and outside of the institute. Furthermore, you will organize the visit of several tens of national and international scholars per year, and support members of the division.
We are looking to fill the position as soon as possible, but it is most important for us to find the right fit for the role. If you look forward to working in an international environment, have experience in academic management and fluency in German and English, and if you recognize yourself in the profile below, then we are looking forward to your application!
Tasks and responsibilities include:
- Organization of and service at meetings, workshops and conferences
- Organization of travels for the Director, support for staff/visitors, and preparation of reimbursement paperwork
- Email and traditional correspondence in English and German, and translations
- Interfacing between the Director’s office, scientific teams, service departments, and the Max Planck Society Headquarters
- Editing texts in German and English
- Proactive assistance in organizational issues
- Organization and management of scientists’ recruitment and procurement processes
- Preparation and follow-up for administrative decisions
- Effective use of Internet applications for researching and gathering information
- Excellent fluency in spoken and written German and English.
- Flexibility and ability to work independently, self-managing time and priorities
- Accuracy, rigor, and attention to detail
- Ability to work in a team and to contribute to collegiality
- Experience using both Macs and PCs
- Fluency with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Basic experience in managing websites
- Work experience in an academic or research environment
- Experience of working abroad
- Experience of working in an international environment
- Proficiency of a third language used in the scientific community (e.g., Italian or French)
- Familiarity with LaTex
The position is initially for two years with a 6-month probation, and it is intended to become permanent afterwards. In exceptional cases, the position could be made permanent sooner.
Applications should include a one-page essay explaining why the candidate is ideal for this job, a curriculum vitae (CV), and copies of certificates. The essay and CV should be provided both in German and English. Please do not include a photograph in your application. All application documents should be sent as one single PDF document exclusively through our online application portal:
by September 15th, 2019. However, applications will be considered until the position is filled.
Salary and benefits follow the remuneration of public employees in Germany ("Tarifvertrag im Öffentlichen Dienst, TVöD"). The salary level will depend on the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
The Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics is an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to providing equal opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability.
For further information please contact Andre Schirotzek (email@example.com).