Applying for a residence permit

Residence Permit

Citizens of the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA) do not need a residence permit for working at AEI.

Citizens from all other countries need to apply for a residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) at the local Foreigners’ Office (Ausländerbehörde) in Germany. Your city of residence determines which Foreigners' Office you'll be applying from.

Since there is a considerable processing time, the application must be submitted well in advance before your current visa expires OR within 90 days upon arrival if no visa was required to enter Germany.

General Remarks:

The residence permit you will get depends on the main purpose of your stay. So if the purpose of your stay changes, you will need to book a new appointment at the Foreigners’ Office.

A residence permit usually has an expiration date - please remember to apply for an extension (if applicable) well before your current permit expires.

The validity of your residence permit cannot exceed the validity of your passport. Please renew your passport in time (if necessary) before your appointment.

Please contact   (for Potsdam/Berlin) or  (for Hannover area) for an appointment and more information.

loading content
Go to Editor View